Passmore Edwards gallery
Exhibitions and the Collection: 1950 - 1991
Although the collection was no longer the centrepiece of the Gallery's displays it continued to grow. In 1951, Camberwell's Libraries Committee commissioned local artists to produce work featuring scenes from their area to become part of the collection. Works by Modern British artists, including John Piper, Christopher Wood and Duncan Grant, were purchased in 1953 to celebrate the coronation and a collection of more than 500 20th century prints was initiated in the 1960s.
Dorothy King was appointed Keeper of the Collection in 1961, retaining the post until 1974 when Kenneth Sharpe took up the post for the next 18 years. Highlight exhibitions during this period included retrospectives of William Coldstream, John Bratby, Valentine Prinsep, Anthony Eyton and Martin Bloch. In 1965, local government re-organisation brought the gallery under control of the new London Borough of Southwark.