Art Block is a free space on Sceaux Gardens Estate for children and families to make things, be creative, and play.
It is part of Open Plan, a long-term public art and education project which invites international and UK based artists to work with the SLG’s close neighbours on Elmington, Pelican and Sceaux Gardens housing estates, accompanied by a programme of events at the gallery.
Art Block is run by the Art & Play Team who combine their knowledge and experiences in art practice, childcare and the local area to establish a welcoming and creative environment.
Building on the gallery’s work with residents on local housing estates over the past decade, Open Plan explores the role of contemporary art in everyday life and continually aims to reflect and participate in the rich culture that exists within our community.
Art Block is transformed by invited artists each year. For the inaugural commission, award-winning artist and designer Morag Myerscough created The Club Under My House, a bespoke installation inspired by workshops with local children to explore pattern making, poetry and 3D design.
- Rumpus Room, Playing for the Future (2021)
- Basim Magdy, PINGPINPOOLPONG, or How I Learned to Laugh at Failure (2018)
- Victoria-Idongesit Udondian, Àdápé (2019)
- Danh Vo, Untitled (2019)
Wed – Fri, 3.30–5.30pm
Covid secure practices
The Art & Play Team are happy to announce that Art Block reopens from Saturday 17 April with the following health and safety measures in place:
- Please wash and sanitise your hands when you enter Art Block.
- We have increased cleaning during and between sessions.
- We can accommodate up to 15 children and young people in the space at any one time.
- Staff will wear face coverings (either masks or visors) during these sessions unless they are exempt from doing so.
- Children under 12 years are not required to wear coverings during Art Block sessions but are welcome to do so.
- During sessions, only children and young people (6-18) and Art Block staff are allowed in the space. If you are dropping off or collecting a child, please wait outside.
- Art Block is wheelchair and push-chair accessible.
- Baby changing facilities are available in our gender-neutral toilet. If you require nappies, wipes or any other assistance, a member of the Art & Play Team will be happy to assist.
- Sanitary products are available on request. Please ask a member of the Art & Play Team and they will be happy to provide these for free.
- Art Block is an actively inclusive space and welcomes people from all backgrounds, genders, sexual orientations and abilities. If you or your child have any access requirements that would be useful for us to know about, please talk to a member of staff during or ahead of your visit.
Art Block is part of Open Plan which is supported by Freelands Foundation, with additional funds from Southwark Council’s Youth and Play Grant Programme and other donors.