Create, play and have fun at the SLG Family Day! Join us to celebrate Nigerian culture in Peckham. Free, no booking required.
Inspired by our exhibition Lagos, Peckham, Repeat: Pilgrimage to the Lakes, we will have:
- Art and crafts
- Family friendly tours
- Delicious Nigerian food
Everyone is welcome, activities are designed for ages 5-12.
ART AND MUSIC WORKSHOPS
Bandana printing with artist Seyi Adelekun.
In the Clore Studio, drop in, 12-4pm
Make your own cyanotype printed floral bandana.
Collage workshop with artist Chiizii.
In the Fire Station kitchen, drop in, 12-4pm
Create collages inspired by food culture.
1pm – 1.30pm Author Sade Fadipe reads, A Visit to Granddad
1.45 pm – 2.15pm Igbo storytime with Oby Okpala
3.30 – 4pm Yoruba Storytime with Gbemisola Isimi
In the Main Gallery. Curated by CultureTree.
Find out more about the Lagos, Peckham, Repeat exhibition in tours specifically designed for families.
At 12.30pm, 2.30pm and 3pm.
DJ MxNeptune will be playing Afrobeats, juju, waka, fuji and more.
In the Orozco Garden, 12-4pm.
Enjoy tasty Nigerian food served up by Plantain Kitchen.
At the Fire Station, 12-4pm.
- There is limited space for buggies. Please speak to a staff member if you need assistance with parking your buggy. Any items are left at the owners risk.
- There are a limited numbers of lockers for valuables available at both sites.
- Changing facilities are available at both sites.
- Breastfeeding is welcome across our spaces. If you would prefer a more quiet space, please speak to a member of staff.
- Food and drink will be available at both sites. There is no food or drink allowed in the galleries.
- Children are welcome to make noise in our galleries. Please have fun!
- The artworks are very delicate and we ask that you do not touch them. However, You CAN touch and play on Temitayo Ogunbiyi’s sculpture in the Fire Station.
- The exhibition is appropriate for all ages, but Gallery 5 in the Fire Station contains nudity and photography from the colonial era and one installation in the Main Gallery contains an historic photo depicting slavery.
- There is no parking at the SLG. Parking on surrounding streets is limited but free on weekends.
- Please visit our Your Visit page on the website to find out more about parking and public transport options.
- Spaces are likely to be noisy. Please speak to a member of staff if you would like a quiet space. There will be a dedicated quiet space in the Fire Station Kitchen.
- Activities are not seated. Chairs are available upon request.
- Ear plugs, ear defenders, magnifying glasses and wheelchairs are all available.
BOOKING FOR ACTIVITIES
- The Family Day is free and drop-in any time from 12-4pm.
- Please note above timings for each activity on the day. No booking is required.
- Places for each activity and workshop are limited and are available on a first come, first served basis. Please arrive early to guarantee entry.
SUPPORT OUR EDUCATION PROGRAMME
We are able to keep our family workshops free thanks to the generous support of many individuals and organisations. Help us to keep our education programme free for all by donating what you can today. Donate online, become a member or Patron or purchase something in our shop during your visit to show your support. All donations, large or small, will make a genuine difference!