New Contemporaries exhibition of emerging and early career artists returns to the SLG for the fourth consecutive year. The 2021 edition includes 75 artists selected through an open submission by internationally renowned artists Hew Locke, Tai Shani and Michelle Williams Gamaker.
New Contemporaries was established in 1949 to give visibility and recognition to an incredible breadth and depth of emerging talent. It also provides other vital development opportunities that enable artists’ practices to become more sustainable long-term.
The new online platform allows audiences to further engage with the artists’ work, available at platform.newcontemporaries.org.uk.
Bloomberg New Contemporaries 2021 Artists
- The space is well lit with low noise
- Gallery 4 in the Fire Station has an installation with low lighting
- A large print exhibition guide is available
- All moving image work has subtitles
- The total watch length of all the films is approximately 4 hours
- There is seating available
- Ear plugs, ear defenders, magnifying glasses and wheelchairs are all available
- See our access page for more information
Please note the Main Gallery includes works with themes of racism. Fire Station Gallery 3 includes works with strong language and Fire Station Gallery 4 includes works with flashing lights.
Additional thanks to Jed and Ariane Donnelly.